The curriculum vitae is a concise history of personal, educational and professional experience, gained over a period of life. A first impression is that it makes the employer the call you to the interview or not.
As well if you have a curriculum vitae, it does not mean that you will get a job, however, a good summary of career can provide invitation to interview. Curriculum vitae should be thought of as a promotional brochure in which you write your professional qualities and what you accomplished so far. A good summary of the facts illustrates the value that could make you be employed.
The most common styles are chronological and functional. Both have advantages and disadvantages when it comes to presentation of information. The third style is the combination, a compromise between the two, became more popular in recent years. We provide a brief description of the three styles to choose the one that suits you
– The chronological one focuses on the professional experience. Work history is presented in reverse chronological order, so that at the beginning of the list are the most recent job. A chronologically curriculum vitae draws attention to any period of inactivity, which may cause questions on the subject. Also, it will reveal, with some approximation, the age and nature of professional experience.
– The functional curriculum vitae has a non-linear format, which can put in a good light the skills and achievements. Employment history is summarized or avoided. Skills and experience are presented since the beginning of your curriculum vitae. They are organized so that one who reads can decide whether the applicant skills are best suited for the workplace. The functional style can be particularly effective in situations where there were more similar jobs, because it avoids redundant information on professional experience.
– The combined style is in fact a functional summary including a brief history of work. At the beginning is listed the skills and achievements, followed by the history of professional route. Such a style will remove the doubts of the employer regarding the real experience.
The electronic style can be transmitted through the Internet or electronic mail. Any system allows e-mail attachment of documents published in Word or other editing software.
Curriculum vitae are at the same time, an example of communication skills and organization, which can be highlighted if, the following suggestions:
– Keep in mind that employers have quite a few responsibilities, so it is a mistake to write a long curriculum vitae. It must have one page, maximum two pages if absolutely necessary, to describe the experience.
– Avoid paragraphs longer than six lines. If it provides summary information, there is a chance for them to be read by the employer.
– Put an evidence of professional experience.
Be honest. Forgery can be traced easily .Even if the distortion of information on skills and performance could provide a first success of employment, you may later lose the job.
Check grammatical expression, which means not only that you know the language, but also that you pay attention to detail.
It is useful to mention personal or hobby sites only in situations where these aspects are required.
It is not hard to make a good curriculum vitae. It is up to you to see what is best for you.