Bronchitis is a disorder characterized by swelling and irritation of the mucous membrane of the trachea or wind pipe and small and large bronchi or air ways within the lungs. Fluid oozes out of the cells of the inflamed membrane and a paroxysm of coughs break out to clear the secretions from lungs. The cough may be very annoying at times. Both adults and children can fall a prey to bronchitis. Children suffer from bronchiolitis, which is inflammation of the tiny air ways. Bronchitis mingled with asthma is called asthmatic bronchitis. It consists in inflammation of air ways and tightening of air way muscles. This leads to severe wheezing and shortness of breath. The symptoms of bronchitis are
1. Wheezing while breathing
2. Sensation of tightness in the chest
3. Burning sensation or dull ache in the chest
4. Difficulty in breathing
5. Mild fever
7. Loss of appetite
8. Dry cough in the initial stage and coughing along with discharge of thick yellowish phlegm or bloody phlegm in the later phases.
The causes of bronchitis may be listed as follows:
1. Viral infection (flu causing influenza A and B) of bronchi. 2. Bacterial infection (mycoplasma pnuemoniae) of bronchi.
3. Inhalation of irritating fumes and dust
4. Smoking tobacco
6. Repeated exposure to chemical irritants
7. Aging and increased vulnerability
8. Weakened immune system
9. Prolonged staying in stuffy environment
10. Certain drugs.
1. Make a mixture of the powdered ingredients like ginger, pepper and clove. Take the mixture along with honey thrice a day. This helps to fight bronchitis.
2. Put half teaspoon turmeric powder in a glass of milk and take thrice a day. For maximum benefit take the drink in empty stomach in the morning. This is a useful bronchitis remedy.
3. Take a teaspoon of onion juice early in the morning. Onion juice facilitates easy removal of phlegm and restricts further phlegm formation.
4. Add fresh spinach leaves in 250 ml water, mix one teaspoon honey and a pinch of ammonium chloride in to it. Stir until all ingredients mix well. Drinking this spinach water solves the problem of phlegm.
5. Mix honey in one teaspoon of powdered chicory root and take thrice regularly. This is highly beneficial in treating bronchitis.
6. Apply a poultice of warm, moist linseed over chest and back. This relieves bronchitis.
7. Put powdered almond in a cup of lemon juice and drink. This gives quick relief from the bouts of coughing and phlegm discharge.
8. Put one teaspoon of powdered sesame seed and linseed in a glass of water, add a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon honey to it. Drink the mixture before going to bed. This is an effective home remedy for bronchitis.
9. Go on a purely liquid diet consisting mainly of orange juice for 3-4 days. This is a beneficial bronchitis cure.
10. Immersing in hot bath water mixed with Epsom salt for half an hour every alternate night gives relief from attacks of cough and phlegm draining.
11. Hot towel application on chest followed by cold fomentations minimizes the severity of bronchitis symptoms.
12. Make a mixture by adding 9-10 tablespoons of coconut milk, one tablespoon poppy seeds and one tablespoon honey. Take this mixture every night before retiring to bed. This is an effective bronchitis relief.