Body piercing is an time honored practice that has exploded as a modern way to express individuality, enhance appearance, provide sexual pleasure, or as part of religious or spiritual rites. The the whole idea for piercing are as varied as the people who choose to adorn themselves with piercings, and the jewellery used for piercings is just as exotic. Whether you are looking for a simple plug or barbell, or want the hottest and trendiest piercings out there, you must purchase high quality piercings to ensure the health of your piercings.
The following is a list of the most standard types of piercings:
* Ball Closure Rings- Ball closure rings are the most variable piece of body jewellery. They can be used for almost any type of body piercing. Each one is a ring with a clip-in or screw-in ball which can often be swapped out for other closure accessories to create different looks. Most often, ball closure rings are used for ear, lip, eyebrow, and navel piercings.
* Bananabells- Bananabells are used primarily for navel piercings. They are shaped specially so that they fit pleasantly into a navel piercing, and most have a ball on each end which can be changed for different items. Many also offer dangling charms for a different look.
* Barbells- Barbells are another very versatile piece of piercing jewellery. They can be used in virtually any piercing, but are most often used in navel, eyebrow, genital, or other “two hole” piercings. Barbells can range from plain to elaborate, with different ends and accessories that can be swapped out for a different look.
* Body Spirals- Body spirals are a fun alternative to barbells. They come in a variety of colors and with distinct screw on tips. You can use two matched ends, or two different ones, or remove both balls and replace them with cool screw on tips.
* Circular Barbells- Circular barbells are another versatile piercing. They can be used in most piercings, but look particularly good in eyebrow, ear, and lip piercings. Both ends have a threaded ball, which can be removed toalter for different threaded accessories to change the look.
* Internally Threaded- Internally threaded piercings are great for piercings in sensitive areas. The threaded accessories are changed without removing the bar from the piercing. This allows you to change the look of your jewellery without the discomfort of removing it.
* Labret Studs- A labret stud is an internally threaded bell with a flat back that is perfect for lip or ear piercings. The stud comes in a variety of colors and materials, and the front of the piercing can be swap out for a variety of different looks.
* Large Gauge- Large gauge piercings and plugs are for those who want to develop a distinctive look. Most commonly, large gauge rings and plugs are used in the ears or nipples. You can begin with a 1.6mm piercing or work your way up to a 10mm piercing, contingent on how intense you want to go!
* Micro Dermal- Micro dermal piercings are a type of skin or surface piercing that is used on various parts of the body. The piercings are a screw-in type, and should be picked carefully for the part of the body they will be used on.
* Septum Jewellery- Septum Jewellery is used in septum piercings, and comes in a wide variety of styles that are particularly eye catching. You can find them ranging from attention grabbing tusks to discrete keepers used for keeping the piercing open when you don’t want it to be very prominent.
No matter which type you choose, you should always look for jewellery made from the best materials, including stainless steel, titanium, gold, silver, or even high-grade synthetic materials. Choosing a high quality piercing will guarantee that your piercing stays healthy for you to enjoy for years to come.